There are lots of healthy, baby-friendly foods out there, now the perfect time to introduce them. While the very word "nutritious" can start a food strike among older kids, babies' opinions, and palates, are still relatively open. Many parents are surprised to discover that their babies really enjoy these foods, either from the very first bite or after a few exposures.
As your baby grows and becomes more adventurous in eating, you must keep certain things in mind while feeding your baby. There might be well-wishers offering your baby different foods but you should politely tell them that it has not been introduced or doctor has prohibited certain things. Here we list out foods that can be dangerous for your baby before she turns one and you must avoid them before her first birthday and sometimes beyond.
There are many food items which present choking hazard to baby, if given before baby turns 1 and even later.
- Nuts pose a big risk as choking hazard, as they are tough to chew with limited teeth that baby has. Even when baby is older, these should be crushed to powder or small pieces till kid is 3-5 years old.
- Big Fruits like berries and grapes can cause choking as baby does not have enough teeth to chew them. If giving these should be cut into small manageable pieces for baby.
- Chunky fruits and vegetables Big pieces of vegetables like carrots, cucumber etc. and fruits like apples, pear etc. can cause choking and should not be given to babies. Fruits and veggies must be cooked well and shredded to small pieces or mashed well.
- Raisins are also choking hazard and should be avoided till baby is older.
- Popcorn too can cause choking and should be avoided.
- Hard candy or jellies should be avoided.
Following foods should be avoided early on, as they have a possibility of causing allergy in babies (some, not all babies). If there is a known allergy in your family, you should wait even longer and introduce carefully in consultation with doctor.
- Nuts like peanuts and others have been known to cause allergy and it is best not to introduce them to baby before turning at least one. If there is a history of nut allergy in your family, you may want to wait even further and introduce with doctor's advice.
- Eggs are a common allergen and most doctors advise against its introduction early on. Yolk is considered safer than egg-white and should be introduced before white.
- Shellfish like prawns; crabs etc. are a common allergen and should be avoided till baby is much older.
- Strawberries are known to be allergenic and should be avoided till baby is at least one.
- Citrus Fruits like orange, lemon etc. should be avoided till baby is at least 1 as they can cause painful rashes to baby.
- Chocolates also pose risk of allergy and should be avoided till baby is at least a few years old. It also makes sense to delay it to protect your baby's teeth.
- Cow's Milk should not be introduced to baby before first birthday, as it contains more protein and sodium than your baby's delicate system can handle. It also has less iron and essential fatty acids than breast milk and formula, which are essential for your baby's growth. Some babies are known to develop reflux and allergies if started on cow's milk early on.
- Honey can be dangerous to baby before first birthday and should be avoided. It may contain spores of Clostridium botulin, which though harmless to adults can cause Botulism in babies.
- Sea fish like tuna, salmon, sharks which are high in mercury should not be given to baby.
- Unpasteurized Milk can contain dangerous bacteria and should be avoided in babies and young kids.
- Teas and Coffee Tea, coffee and cocoa contain caffeine which can interfere with absorption of calcium and should be avoided for babies and young kids.
- Carbonated drinks like soda, colas etc. contain lots of sugar, sodium and artificial flavourings all bad for young kids. Carbonation happens due to gas which can upset your baby's tummy as well.
ඔබට ඇති වෛද්ය ගැටළු අසන්න මෙහි ක්ලික් කරන්න, Ask a Doctor | වෛද්යවරයාගෙන් අසන්න
If you found this article interesting and helpful, please share with your friends too. Just click the "recommend" button below. Also, we welcome your comments, views and experiences to share with other moms and ladies. Thank you!
මෙම ලිපිය ඔබට ප්රයෝජනවත් වුනානම් හෝ ඔබේ මිතුරියකට ප්රයෝජනවත් වේ යයි සිතනවානම්, කරුණාකර පහත ඇති "recommend" ක්ලික් කිරීමෙන් එය බෙදා හදා ගැනීමට අමතක කරන්න එපා. තවද, මෙම ලිපිය පිළිබඳව ඔබේ අදහස්, යෝජනා සහ අනෙකුත් මවුවරුන්/කාන්තාවන් හට ප්රයෝජනවත් වන ඔබේ අත්දැකීම් පහත ලියා තැබීමටද අප ආරාධනා කරමු. ස්තුතියි!